Depression is a state of human being where the person suffers from a state of excessive emotional content flow. The sufferer might experience varying level of sadness due to different life occurrences. A person suffering from depression also lacks the sense of interest in any given activity and may further be exposed to a number of physical and emotional problems.
Severe Depression occurrences in a person can last up to 6-8 months but can extend up to a very long time based on the level of intensity.
Symptoms and Signs Of Depression
Depression though caused due to different factors in every different human being, have one or the same type of symptoms:
- Feeling extremely sad
- Losing interest in day to day activities
- Loss in diet
- Loss in weight
- Feeling weak
- Suicidal thoughts
- Feeling of guilt and worthlessness
Factors For Depression
Depression is believed to hit anyone regardless of the living conditions of the person. Certain factors leading up to depression are:
- Biochemistry– chemical changes in the brain of a human being can lead up to causing depression.
- Genetics– Depression is also a genetic illness. For example, one of the two identical twins has a more than 50% probability of suffering from depression if the other twin is already suffering from it.
- Personality– a rather non- dominant personality person is more likely to suffer from depression as he is rather neglected by others or already has low self esteem.
- Environmental Factors– a series of events taking place in one’s life can lead up to be the cause of depression in future.
Different types of depression normally found in human beings
Depressions can be varied in its types. A depression can be long last or can be short lived. It might be caused due to a particular event in life or a series of events. Understanding the depression type is very important as it helps the doctor or the concerned body to comprehend the situation of the sufferer and the things and feelings it is going through.
- Major Depression Disorder– a person suffering from acute low self esteem, sadness, weakness, loss of diet or imbalanced sleeping habits for more than 6-7 days is said to suffer from this kind of depressive disorder.
- Subsyndromal depression-a person experiencing not all but few symptoms of depressions is to be put under this category of depression.
- Premenstrual Dysphoric depressions disorder– a woman who is above the required age for childbearing can suffer from this kind of depression in the early stages of PMS.
- Substance-induced depression disorder– intake of drugs, medicines or other type of chemical substances can result in this kind of depression.
Depression is a serious kind of illness that has a probability of occurrence in every human body irrespective of age or sex. In fact depression is more likely to engulf women than men due to severe changes in women in the stages of puberty, pregnancy or child birth. A person suffering from depression can be treated with psychological means like talking or with medicinal uses and care.